As part of its service, remotEMDR offers an internal HIPAA-compliant video chat, based on the browser on which it is used. To use the platform’s internal video chat, you first need to make sure that both you and your client have a functioning camera and microphone connected to your computers and that the browsers you are using have permission to access the camera and microphone on remotEMDR’s website. This blog post will explain the importance of giving these permissions and how you can easily grant them through your browser’s settings.
What Permissions are We Talking About?
To protect its users’ privacy, every internet browser comes with a set of security settings. These settings include the choice of whether to allow any website the user visits to use the camera and microphone on the user’s computer. Usually, there are three options regarding these permissions:
- Allow – this means that any website can use the user’s camera or microphone.
- Block – all websites are prohibited from using the user’s camera or microphone.
- Ask – every time a website tries to use the user’s camera or microphone, a pop-up message appears asking the user to decide whether they approve the usage or not.
What Happens If I Don’t Give remotEMDR Permission to Use My Camera and Microphone?
If remotEMDR does not have permission to use your computer’s devices, your client will not be able to see or hear you through remotEMDR’s internal video chat since your camera or microphone will not be able to function. The same applies if your client doesn’t approve their use on their side – you won’t be able to see or hear them.
Lack of access to the camera will also prevent remotEMDR from displaying the user’s thumbnail image next to their name in the session screen.
How Do I Give remotEMDR the Necessary Permissions?
Allowing remotEMDR access to your computer’s camera and microphone is very easy. All you have to do is make sure to follow the correct instructions, as they differ from browser to browser.
- For a detailed explanation on allowing access in Chrome, click here.
- For a detailed explanation on allowing access in Firefox, click here.
- For a detailed explanation on allowing access in Safari, click here.
If you’re having any trouble giving your browser access to your computer’s devices, contact us at info@remotEMDR.com and we’ll be happy to help.